[metagenomics-jclub] Change in speaker for journal club

Adina Chuang Howe adina.chuang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 05:49:55 PDT 2010

Hi all:

Titus has another engagement on Wed so I will be presenting the following
paper:

Metagenomic Sequencing of an *In Vitro*-Simulated Microbial Community

Jenna L. Morgan1<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff1>
,2<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff2>
,3<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff3>,
Aaron E. Darling1<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff1>
,2<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff2>,
Jonathan A. Eisen1<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff1>
,2<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff2>
,3<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#aff3>
*<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010209#cor1>

We describe a new data resource for measuring the accuracy of metagenomic
binning methods, created by *in vitro*-simulation of a metagenomic
community. Our *in vitro* simulation can be used to complement previous *in
silico* benchmark studies. In constructing a synthetic community and
sequencing its metagenome, we encountered several sources of observation
bias that likely affect most metagenomic experiments to date and present
challenges for comparative metagenomic studies. DNA preparation methods have
a particularly profound effect in our study, implying that samples prepared
with different protocols are not suitable for comparative metagenomics.