[twill] Can't login to MySpace

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sat Aug 5 21:00:43 PDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:18:41PM -0400, twill.overbored at spamgourmet.com wrote:
-> Hi all, I'm writing this simple script to log into MySpace:
->
-> go('http://myspace.com/')
-> fv('theForm', 'email', 'myname at myhost')
-> fv('theForm', 'password', 'mypassword')
-> submit()
-> code(200)
->
-> However, this doesn't work (this can be verified by checking the
-> resulting page for the form 'theForm'). I can tell you that
-> redirections and cookies are used between the submit() and code()
-> calls. However, after spending several hours using Ethereal and trying
-> to analyze the differences between the HTTP traffic from twill and
-> Firefox, I've given up (having never done packet analysis before, I'm
-> extremely inefficient at this). Hopefully someone knows what's
-> up....or even better, a workaround! Thanks a ton in advance.

I'm unlikely to be able to track this down soon -- as Swati can attest,
I'm too frickin' focused on my PhD defense (Sep 5th...) to take a
serious look at twill problems at the moment.

However, I'd recommend using the 'scotch' proxy/recording tool, as
detailed here,

	http://lists.idyll.org/pipermail/twill/2006-July/000463.html

to record what twill and your browser are both doing.  At that point
it should be fairly easy to track down the general area of the
problematic interactions.

-> (Since this tool has never been mentioned on this mailing list before,
-> I'll mention that I am currently trying to get around this by using
-> Chickenfoot, http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/chickenfoot/. But while I
-> now have full Firefox power, I think all I really need is correct
-> stateful browsing. Also, JavaScript sucks.)

Cool!  I hadn't heard about chickenfoot before...  Jason Huggins (author
of Selenium) is working on some scripting stuff that might be of
interest; check out

	http://www.jrandolph.com/blog/?p=44

cheers,