[twill] Can't login to MySpace

twill.overbored at spamgourmet.com twill.overbored at spamgourmet.com
Sat Aug 5 20:18:41 PDT 2006

Hi all, I'm writing this simple script to log into MySpace:

go('http://myspace.com/')
fv('theForm', 'email', 'myname at myhost')
fv('theForm', 'password', 'mypassword')
submit()
code(200)

However, this doesn't work (this can be verified by checking the
resulting page for the form 'theForm'). I can tell you that
redirections and cookies are used between the submit() and code()
calls. However, after spending several hours using Ethereal and trying
to analyze the differences between the HTTP traffic from twill and
Firefox, I've given up (having never done packet analysis before, I'm
extremely inefficient at this). Hopefully someone knows what's
up....or even better, a workaround! Thanks a ton in advance.

(Since this tool has never been mentioned on this mailing list before,
I'll mention that I am currently trying to get around this by using
Chickenfoot, http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/chickenfoot/. But while I
now have full Firefox power, I think all I really need is correct
stateful browsing. Also, JavaScript sucks.)