[TIP] secondary testing tools

Sean Robinson seankrobinson at gmail.com
Sat May 7 07:30:22 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> Le 06/05/2011 12:09, Jamu Kakar a écrit :
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For running a battery of tests (in good-ol C projects), the Makefile
>>> is often used.
>>>
>>> What is the recommended tool for orchestrating testing in python?

  For orchestration I use make, because testing is just one of the
many tasks to do and there are several flavors of testing possible.  I
use make to provide shortcuts to all these tasks and variations.

> There’s an emerging consensus about using “setup.py test”.  Such a command
> is provided by setuptools, distutils2 (the new standard, which will be
> included in Python 3.3. and released separately for 2.4-3.2), or you can
> write one in ten lines if you want no dependency (I’ll post an example on
> the Python Cookbook later).  The great thing about it is that users don’t
> have to know what testing tools you use, they can just run “setup.py test”.

  I recently wrote a test command for setup.py
<http://pymnl.wikispot.org/test_command> that readers of this list
might find useful.  It only uses stdlib and can be distributed with
your package.

--
Sean Robinson
WiFi Radar - http://wifi-radar.berlios.de