[TIP] secondary testing tools

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat May 7 13:43:26 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Jamu Kakar <jkakar at kakar.ca> wrote:
> There are a number of ways to run unit tests in Python.  I like
> Twisted's trial runner a lot and usually have a Makefile with a check
> target, like:
>
> check:
>    trial $PROJECT
>
> I like to have a Makefile because I include targets to clean *.pycs,
> generate releases with setup.py, etc.  If you don't want or need those
> things you'll probably just want to run 'trial $PROJECT' or 'nose
> $PROJECT' or something.

Shameless plug: I used to do exactly that - thunk across to trial.
Nowadays I'm deeply in love with
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/testrepository these days - the built in
multi-process parallelisation, data capturing and tracking of known
failures has just spoilt me. (Think what the better GUI IDE tools do,
as a small focused command line tool).

-Rob