[TIP] form field name length limitations and twill

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 06:21:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Titus Brown <titus at caltech.edu> wrote:
>  -> However, that does bring up a related issue: Is there a way to get
>  -> showforms to display the full field name instead of just the first 20
>  -> characters? Below is an example, take a look at #4, and 5, note the
>  -> partial name and ellipsis. If we can get the full field names then we
>  -> can stay in python/twill the whole time instead of having to use the
>  -> web developer extension on firefox to grab form details.
>
>  Suggest a mechanism ('showforms -a'? a config option?) and/or contribute
>  a patch & I'll do it...  I've felt the same lack myself, so it'll be on
>  the feature list for the next release.

I've made a proof-of-concept as a twill extension (see attachment). Use with:

>> extend_with show_full_forms
>> show_full_forms

Name field in the table will extend to the longest field name. The
same thing could be done for field id. What about field type and
value? Think about textareas with long content and newlines, we could
allow that but it could potentially mess up the table display.

I'm +1 on -a option to showforms and I can provide a patch if you want it.

Cheers,
mk