[TIP] form field name length limitations and twill

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Apr 17 23:20:29 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:21:36PM +0200, Micha? Kwiatkowski wrote:
-> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Titus Brown <titus at caltech.edu> wrote:
-> >  -> However, that does bring up a related issue: Is there a way to get
-> >  -> showforms to display the full field name instead of just the first 20
-> >  -> characters? Below is an example, take a look at #4, and 5, note the
-> >  -> partial name and ellipsis. If we can get the full field names then we
-> >  -> can stay in python/twill the whole time instead of having to use the
-> >  -> web developer extension on firefox to grab form details.
-> >
-> >  Suggest a mechanism ('showforms -a'? a config option?) and/or contribute
-> >  a patch & I'll do it...  I've felt the same lack myself, so it'll be on
-> >  the feature list for the next release.
->
-> I've made a proof-of-concept as a twill extension (see attachment). Use with:
->
-> >> extend_with show_full_forms
-> >> show_full_forms
->
-> Name field in the table will extend to the longest field name. The
-> same thing could be done for field id. What about field type and
-> value? Think about textareas with long content and newlines, we could
-> allow that but it could potentially mess up the table display.

Or, we could do a 'showdetail' that takes a form name/number and a
regexp and shows full detail for matching fields, including IDs, number,
etc.