[socal-piggies] Still Looking

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:39:22 PDT 2013

I think Brice has nailed it on the head.

A few more things:

1. Teaching under the conditions you propose is hard. Why? No course
material. Unless they qualify as an expert in your libraries and
issues, the senior developer  has to do not-insignificant research in
order to help you.

2. Putting in 10-20 hours to teach a single when you already work full
time (what most senior developers are doing) is hard. So then the
developer wants to charge a lot because now they are working overtime
and NOT DEVELOPING.

3. What's harder is negotiating for pay. Most prospective clients of
such a deal are always shocked by the sticker price and negotiate
hard, and most senior developers shy away from those kinds of
negotiations after a while. Or worse, they take the job after being
negotiated down and then flake out after a while (very common several
weeks post-negotiation where the developer takes a financial cut).

    For consulting most sane developers will charge (yearly salary / 500)
    Assuming the average salary for senior developers is 100k/year in
LA, expect to pay at least 200/hour, or about 2K-4K a week.

4. I suggest you take a course. Taking a course on this topic puts you
back about $3500 for a week of super-intensive training. Most of those
instructors are in Chicago or San Francisco unless you can line up at
least 7 other students, so you have to travel to get instruction.

Danny

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Brice Leroy <bbrriiccee at gmail.com> wrote:
> No offense but since you asked for reason why you didn't receive replies...
> The way you present your project, does not make it sound interesting. Being
> an IT doesn't imply I'm proficient in other sciences, aka psychoacoustic
> doesn't mean anything to me.
>
> Maybe explain a little more about the project, the way it started, the WHY
> of that project, the goal, the implications and applications. Also who you
> are, how you work, the benefit of working with you, the opportunity that
> will result from that collaboration etc...
>
> Put some make up on that babe :-)
>
> On Jul 27, 2013 10:13 AM, "Dan Begel" <Dan at danbegelmd.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am having difficulty finding a Python tutor and wonder if anyone might
>> have a suggestion.
>>
>> I am looking for someone to help me build a gui in Python based on a
>> previous gui I created in Matlab. The project involves psychoacoustics and
>> is quite interesting, at least to me. I am looking for someone to provide me
>> with programming suggestions and advice, rather than doing the project for
>> me, and I will pay whatever the going hourly rate is for this help. I will
>> need 10-20 hours of help initially, and perhaps more as the project becomes
>> more sophisticated.
>>
>> If you know of anyone who might be interested, please put me in touch with
>> that person somehow. Also, if you have any thoughts about why this request
>> may not be of interest to persons who are skilled in Python programming,
>> please pass those thoughts along. For some reason it seems rather difficult
>> to find a Python tutor.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Dan

'Knowledge is Power'
Daniel Greenfeld
Principal at Cartwheel Web; co-author of Two Scoops of Django
cartwheelweb.com | pydanny.com | django.2scoops.org