[socal-piggies] Yet Another New Member Introduction

Alexandros Bantis ambantis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:33:11 PST 2011

Hello All,

My name is Alex, and I'm a newbie.

I've been quietly following the list since the Fall, and came to a
meeting for the first time last week (I came a little bit late and was
sitting by the door with my wife, who's mainly on the networking and
network security side of things. Parts of the talk were a bit over my
head, but that's to be expected. I really liked the professionalism and
warmth of the atmosphere at the meeting. Right now I teach high school
science but find myself drawn to computer programming.

Learning both Python and C. I've been navigating around Ubuntu and Emacs
for a little over a year now. I started on The C Programming Language at
the beginning of Summer. Last month I began working my way through the
Python Tutorial, doing on the same exercises in both languages to see
how they compare. I'm really looking forward to learning many new things
and helping others at the Hackathon next month.

cheers,

alex bantis