[socal-piggies] Yet Another New Member Introduction

Jathan McCollum jathan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:49:43 PST 2011

Hello Alex-

Welcome to the group! I recall when you and your wife entered (I was the guy
with the blue sweatshirt).  I also work in the network security industry and
have spoken in the past about a security-related Python project I maintain
and am on the cusp of releasing publicly.

I'm also looking forward to next month's hackatron!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Alexandros Bantis <ambantis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> My name is Alex, and I'm a newbie.
>
> I've been quietly following the list since the Fall, and came to a
> meeting for the first time last week (I came a little bit late and was
> sitting by the door with my wife, who's mainly on the networking and
> network security side of things. Parts of the talk were a bit over my
> head, but that's to be expected. I really liked the professionalism and
> warmth of the atmosphere at the meeting. Right now I teach high school
> science but find myself drawn to computer programming.
>
> Learning both Python and C. I've been navigating around Ubuntu and Emacs
> for a little over a year now. I started on The C Programming Language at
> the beginning of Summer. Last month I began working my way through the
> Python Tutorial, doing on the same exercises in both languages to see
> how they compare. I'm really looking forward to learning many new things
> and helping others at the Hackathon next month.
>
> cheers,
>
> alex bantis

Jathan.