[socal-piggies] Python and R/data analysis meeting

Fri Nov 19 09:51:42 PST 2010

All Python group members:

(Thank you Grig, Adam and Titus from removing my email address from the

As you know we (the Python and the R/data analysis users groups) are
organizing a joint event in January. R is an open source software
environment/programming language for data analysis, statistical
modeling, visualization, data mining etc.

As the main interest of the R group's members is data analysis, and for
various data analysis or related tasks other software tools might be
necessary or might be more appropriate/efficient to use, we'd like to
have a meeting on how Python can be used in various data analysis
settings. Also, work in data analysis often involves gluing things
together, and scripting that in Python is one of the most productive
ways to do so.

We have discussed potential topics for 3-4 short (20 min) talks:
1. Python and R - a comparison
2. ipython, numpy, scipy, matplotlib - this is the basic Python
framework for data analysis
3. NLTK
4. NetworkX
5. substituting Unix shell scripts with Python
6. some data related application of Python
7. other

We'll definitively need 1 and 2. We'd like to have at least one person
from the Python group presenting. This could be 2, 3, 4 if any of you
have used that, or it could be 5, 6 (or 7). Please let me know if you
can volunteer to do so.

To keep being informed about the meeting, please sign up to the R users
group:
http://www.meetup.com/LAarea-R-usergroup/
In order to attend a meeting you do need to RSVP via the group's website
(we were short a few seats in our October meeting, so it's absolutely
crucial to RSVP for anyone who wants to attend).

Please contact me via the group message system if you have any
idea/suggestion or you would like to give a talk:
http://www.meetup.com/LAarea-R-usergroup/members/9042718/

You can also see the video recording of some of our previous meetings here:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/RUG/
The October meeting had a talk on calling R from Python with rpy2. The
recording of the November meeting will be added soon and it had a talk
on "Software tools for data analysis" with some parts about Python.

Hope to see you guys in January,
Szilard