[socal-piggies] Fwd: [BarCampLA] Re: Too many tech event collisions in LA

Chuck Esterbrook chuck.esterbrook at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:01:52 PDT 2008

Sorry forgot to CC.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chuck Esterbrook <chuck.esterbrook at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [BarCampLA] Re: Too many tech event collisions in LA
To: BarcampLA at googlegroups.com

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Amanda Abelove <amanda at abelove.com> wrote:
 >  I think it is true in general that there is a lot of things going on at
 >  the same time in LA.  Have you seen tech venue?
 >
 >  http://calendars.techvenue.com/cgi-bin/techvenue.pl?CalendarName=Los_Angeles

 I hadn't seen it, so thanks! It looks like they are harvesting a few
 sites which is great. I already see a couple things there I didn't
 know about.

 So here are the current, viable sources that I know of:

 http://calendars.techvenue.com/cgi-bin/techvenue.pl?CalendarName=Los_Angeles
  -- Seems to have the best concentration of tech. Harvests multiple
 sources.

 http://www.socaltech.com/calendar/calendar.php -- Also tech focused,
 but strangely, for March 27th there is no .NET Geek DInner, SoCal
 Piggies or MindShare! This place might be primarily for business and
 VC.

 http://upcoming.yahoo.com/  -- You can get a link for LA but that
 seems less useful than just seeing the content for your account once
 you sign up and make a couple friends. Also, there can easily be 20 -
 50 events per day to wade through which has its pros and cons.

 http://www.meetup.com/  -- Also many events.

 http://mixergy.com/  -- There is a small list of "Upcoming Events"
 which are often tech and in LA.

 Based on everything I'm hearing, it might be useful to have one site
 that could act as an intro to the LA tech scene. It would be a wiki
 (but not another calendar) with:
 1. Pointers to the above event sites
 2. Profiles on groups like Geek Dinner
 3. An index of various LA tech groups. Or does such an index already exists?

 The pitch is not that you're forced to go there, but that if you do go
 there, you get this information and it's up to date. It could be
 useful for both people who are new to LA and for organizers looking to
 research potential calendar dates.

 To reduce event collisions, we could encourage organizers to check
 their dates with these sites in consideration of avoiding collisions
 when possible.

 Additional comments, ideas and tips are welcome...

 -Chuck

--
http://cobra-language.com/