[socal-piggies] [BarCampLA] Re: Too many tech event collisions in LA

Chuck Esterbrook chuck.esterbrook at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:02:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Sean Bonner <seanbonner at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Am I the only one who isn't really that concerned about this? I mean,
>  sure I know I skip more events than I attend but having a bunch of
>  events with conflicting times seems like the sign of a healthy
>  community with a lot going on rather than a big problem to solve in my
>  eyes. I mean, which is worse having too much going on or not enough?

I don't think has anything to do with with reducing tech event
collisions. I too am glad that there are many events. Now I'd like to
see if we can schedule them better independent of the idea that things
could be worse if there were fewer events.

>  I'd personally much rather have to choose which cool event I want to
>  go to tonight than be bummed that there isn't anything interesting
>  happening for the next 3 weeks.

Again, I don't know what this has to do with my original post. And
those aren't the only two scenarios. A third is that tech organizers
become more aware of each other and tweak their dates a bit so you can
attend 3 events this week instead of just 1.

>  Maybe I just don't like being told what to do but someone putting
>  together a schedule that everyone has to check to make sure they
>  aren't stepping on anyone elses toes at any given moment, as well as
>  making a "go here, then here, then here" list seems like herding to
>  me. I think there are enough tools out there - upcoming, this list,
>  etc that people can see what other folks are up to and make their own
>  decisions what they want to attend, and when.

Being told what to do is unlikely to be the only choice for improving
the current situation.

Yes, people will always make their own decisions about what to attend.
I'm interested in getting organizers to space things out a bit more
that we reduce silly attendance choices like "Geek Dinner" or ".NET
Geek Dinner", or "MindShare" vs. "Disney Animation Studios".

-Chuck