[bip] Bioinformatics Programming Language Shootout, Python performance poopoo'd

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Feb 7 20:45:42 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:35 AM, Titus Brown wrote:
> I suspect that the code could use some systematic code review; "we"
> (i.e. someone else :) could even write up something semi-formal if it
> turns out that the results are bogus.

I've got something written up.  It's mostly complete.  100 lines,
plus a summary I haven't figured out yes.  What should I do with it?

  - publish (BMC Bioinformatics has a $1,870 fee - that ain't gonna
happen)

  - I don't see a letters to the editor column, or anything similar.
The closest is
        Queries about content, submissions, or the review process
should be
        directed to editorial at biomedcentral.com

I really want to complain about their lack of rigorous peer review.

   - I see there's a spot for comments at
   http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9/82/comments

Does anyone use that?  Or is there some place else which is better?

   - blog it

Anything else?

Also, does anyone want to look over my draft version?  This is a
public list and I would rather the comments not be widely
disseminated yet.

I'm also not sure about the politics of dissing BMC Bio's editors and
peer reviewers skills on reviewing this paper.  Not that I publish,
but how do I make it the most effective?

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com