[bip] Bioinformatics Programming Language Shootout, Python performance poopoo'd

Diane Trout diane at caltech.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:44:46 PST 2008

> I suspect that the code could use some systematic code review; "we"
> (i.e. someone else :) could even write up something semi-formal if it
> turns out that the results are bogus.

What about pointing to The Computer Language Benchmarks Game
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

They report the performance of programs implementing a variety of simple
algorithms.

For instance reverse complement in a variety of languages
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=revcomp&lang=all

The project's been running for a long time, and they do take new
implementations if someone can come up with a better implementation for
an algorithm in a given language.

diane