[bip] License - was Re: domain name for community site

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Aug 22 17:54:41 PDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Titus Brown wrote:
> Does anyone have any objections to using the same license(s) that
> the ActiveState cookbook uses, which would be the Python license?

I see the quote you got from the ASPN/Python Cookbook page,

> """
> Except where otherwise noted, recipes in the Python Cookbook are
> published under the Python license .
> """

so I went to the license page

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/license/

     PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE VERSION 2

     1. This LICENSE AGREEMENT is between the Python Software Foundation
     ("PSF"), and the Individual or Organization ("Licensee")
accessing and
     otherwise using this software ("Python") in source or binary
form and
     its associated documentation.

     2. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License
Agreement, PSF
     hereby grants Licensee a nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
     license to reproduce, analyze, test, perform and/or display
publicly,
     prepare derivative works, distribute, and otherwise use Python
     alone or in any derivative version, provided, however, that PSF's
     License Agreement and PSF's notice of copyright, i.e.,
"Copyright (c)
     2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Python Software Foundation;
All Rights
     Reserved" are retained in Python alone or in any derivative version
     prepared by Licensee.

Yet the PSF doesn't own copyright to the recipes because when you
you submit the recipe the ASPN site says:
   By submitting a script, you are agreeing to the following terms:

   You own the copyright to your own script and description. This
   means that you can make whatever additional use of that script
   and description that you choose.

   All submitted material will be made freely available on the
   ActiveState site under the Python license.

How do those go together?

Me, I'm an MIT license fan.  The Creative Commons "Attribution Unported"
seems to be the closest match, but the text is impenetrable.

Though in reality, I know that no one cares ;)

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com