[bip] License - was Re: domain name for community site

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Wed Aug 22 16:57:15 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:33:24AM +0200, Andrew Dalke wrote:
-> > For the moment I'd prefer to think about code snippets and
-> > tutorials and
-> > getting some people involved in actually writing a bit of code.  At
-> > some
-> > point something will coalesce, I'm guessing, and then we can discuss
-> > melding it with BioPython, or releasing it as a series of small
-> > projects, or ...
->
-> For the long term, unless there's a non-trivial project using
-> the code, I don't think there will be a good, useful coalescence.
-> I do think tutorials and code snippets are useful, and probably
-> the best approach for this sort of group.  Something like the
-> ActiveState cookbook, perhaps?
->
-> Stating the obvious - make sure the license is pinned down early
-> for code and documentation.

Yes!  Good point (and one that I keep forgetting to make).

Does anyone have any objections to using the same license(s) that
the ActiveState cookbook uses, which would be the Python license?

"""
Except where otherwise noted, recipes in the Python Cookbook are
published under the Python license .
"""

http://www.python.org/license

cheers,