[twill] Is Twill a suitable tool to test my custom web application?

Terry Peppers peppers at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:13:36 PST 2010

Arun -

> The URL of my web application is http://66.56.54.158:8080/m2r.2. Twill
> successfully manages to go to this web page but when I tried the "showforms"
> command it returns nothing. This is unlike other public websites like Google
> where the showforms command displays the components of the web form.

> Please let me know if Twill is capable of testing my custom web application
> ... if Twill currently does not have the capability for testing my custom
> web application please suggest alternative open source tools which I can use
> to test my web application.

Twill can't do - and likely will never do JavaScript. It's more about
HTTP and being able to intercept and render those requests and
much better off using Selenium (http://code.google.com/p/selenium/). I
know that the Python bindings for Selenium 2 (which is Selenium plus
WebDriver) were close to being complete and that Jason Huggins' was
planning on trying to finish them this week - but the Selenium project
is a solid place to start.

Another tool that you might have interest in is Windmill
(http://www.getwindmill.com/) - haven't played around with it myself,
but it might be an option.

Hope that helps.

- t.