[twill] Twill vs. AJAX, Twill vs. popups questions

Hancock, David (DHANCOCK) DHANCOCK at arinc.com
Sun Mar 19 13:59:11 PST 2006

I'm trying to write a twill script that fills in some form values and
submits the form. There are two things currently that stymie me:

1. The form page gets some of its form fields populated by AJAX
requests.

2. The page that results from successful submission is a popup "above"
the original page.

Item 1 seems to mean that I can't enter form values directly. For
example, I need to pick an aircraft, and then an AJAX request later, a
second pulldown of aircraft configurations becomes available. I don't
know how to make that request happen in Twill, and if I simply try
entering the form values directly, there's an error message (because the
form doesn't know about them).  So I'm a little stuck there.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about Item 2 yet, but if I get Item 1 solved,
then I need to be able to follow the processing to the popup page for
further work. I haven't found a way to do this yet even in a simple case
(basic form, fill in fv fields, submit 0).

Before I get too far along, I'd like to know if either of these actions
are feasible in twill, or if I have to move to Selenium to handle them.

I'll be grateful for any insights from out there in Twill-land. Thanks.

Cheers!
--
David Hancock | dhancock at arinc.com | 410-266-4384