[twill] twill & spidermonkey?

James Cameron james.cameron at hp.com
Sun Mar 19 13:15:59 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 05:35:20PM -0500, John Mudd wrote:
> Using ssh causes the browser to appear on my home Linux system but
> requires a lot of net traffic which slows testing.

Methods to reduce this net traffic ...

1.  install a VNC server on the remote system and use a VNC client on
your home Linux system,

2.  install a VNC server on another remote system, use a VNC client on
your home Linux system, and then within that run "ssh -X" to the remote
system.

With the VNC protocol, you can close the client, thus stopping screen
updates (net traffic), and then reconnect the client later to see the
result.  With some VNC programs you can also restrict the update rate.

VNC makes periodic updates to the screen.  But using ssh every update is
passed across the net.  An automated web browser would generate a lot of
screen updates, and so the difference between VNC and ssh would be more
obvious.

--
James Cameron
http://ftp.hp.com.au/sigs/jc/