[twill] Converter for Selenium HTML to Twill language or mechanize source code

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Wed Apr 12 06:53:55 PDT 2006

--- Titus Brown <titus at caltech.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:57:05PM -0400, Martin Blais wrote:
> -> Hi
> ->
> -> I've been fiddling with Selenium recently, and I find it's a lot
> of
> -> fun to have a recorder for tests.
> ->
> -> In my current web app setup, I've been using mechanize with a lot
> of
> -> hand-written tests.  Even with all the niceties of mechanize, I
> find
> -> myself still being a bit lazy on writing tests.
> ->
> -> Would it not be fun to have some tool to convert the Selenium HTML
> -> files recorded with the Firefox plugin into Python twill code or
> -> Python mechanize code, to get started on writing new test cases?
> -> The resulting code could be improved by hand to produce the final
> -> tests and to be run outside the browser without a complicated
> setup
> -> like what was shown by Titus and Grig at PyCon 2006.
> ->
> -> This script could be completely independent from Selenium.  It
> could
> -> simply parse the HTML file and output twill source, or mechanize
> -> source code.  It does not require any complex recorder setup
> (that's
> -> already taken care of by Selenium).
> ->
> -> Anyway, has anyone done that for Twill?  In other words, has
> anyone
> -> written a Selenium HTML to Twill code converter?  (If not I think
> -> I'm about to write one.)
>
> I haven't seen one, although I've certainly thought about writing
> one.
>
> It would be entertaining to try a complete circle, where you take
> Selenium HTML, convert it into twill, and then have a twill-like
> language that drives Selenium Remote Control ;).
>
> --titus

For Selenium HTML tests -> Python scripts -> back to HTML tests, check
out make_selenium.py. It currently only does the last arrow, but in a
few days it will do the first too. It should also be possible to write
Selenium RC-specific Python scripts that can be then turned by
make_selenium.py into HTML.

http://joker.linuxstuff.pl/documentation/make_selenium

(I've been emailing back and forth with the author, requesting various
features such as the Selenium RC stuff and the HTML->Python translation
:-)

Grig