[twill] Converter for Selenium HTML to Twill language or mechanize source code

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Apr 11 22:37:50 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:57:05PM -0400, Martin Blais wrote:
-> Hi
->
-> I've been fiddling with Selenium recently, and I find it's a lot of
-> fun to have a recorder for tests.
->
-> In my current web app setup, I've been using mechanize with a lot of
-> hand-written tests.  Even with all the niceties of mechanize, I find
-> myself still being a bit lazy on writing tests.
->
-> Would it not be fun to have some tool to convert the Selenium HTML
-> files recorded with the Firefox plugin into Python twill code or
-> Python mechanize code, to get started on writing new test cases?
-> The resulting code could be improved by hand to produce the final
-> tests and to be run outside the browser without a complicated setup
-> like what was shown by Titus and Grig at PyCon 2006.
->
-> This script could be completely independent from Selenium.  It could
-> simply parse the HTML file and output twill source, or mechanize
-> source code.  It does not require any complex recorder setup (that's
-> already taken care of by Selenium).
->
-> Anyway, has anyone done that for Twill?  In other words, has anyone
-> written a Selenium HTML to Twill code converter?  (If not I think
-> I'm about to write one.)

I haven't seen one, although I've certainly thought about writing one.

It would be entertaining to try a complete circle, where you take
Selenium HTML, convert it into twill, and then have a twill-like
language that drives Selenium Remote Control ;).