[TIP] nose test generators under py.test

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Feb 26 10:22:03 PST 2016

On Feb 25, 2016, at 04:18 PM, Fred Drake wrote:

>After years of living in a zope.testrunner - only environment, I'm trying out
>some of the other options.  While there are some nice tools out there, I find
>I'd like something simpler than most of them (not that zope.testrunner was
>simple!), but I really don't want to invent something new.

Not to take anything away from py.test, and maybe you've already played with
it, but I found nose2 a very comfortable alternative to z.t.  It even supports
layers.  When I switched, the only thing I really had to reproduce was the
nice filtering by pattern.  Here's an example of a nose2 plugin that pretty
much completed my migration away from z.t.

https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/blob/master/src/mailman/testing/nose.py

enabled by:

https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/blob/master/unittest.cfg

So now if a test fails when run via tox, I can do, e.g.

$ .tox/py35/bin/python -m nose2 -vv -P test_oops -P mydoctest.rst

to narrow things down.  I'm fairly sure the patterns that -P supports are at
least as powerful as what z.t supported.  At least, it does everything I want
anyway. ;)

One of these days I'll clean this up and submit it to the nose2 project.

Cheers,
-Barry