[TIP] tox-2.0.1 with fixed wheel for py26 released

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed May 13 22:22:47 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 04:34:52PM +0200, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> * Julian Berman <julian at grayvines.com> [2015-05-13 16:24:24 +0200]:
> > It sounded like Holger was referring to dropping support for having
> > python2.6 be the one that you install tox to? Not support for 2.6 toxenvs?
> >
> > The latter seems (very) premature to me but the former seems reasonable to
> > me at least, I run tox on development machines or CI servers where I could
> > coordinate having 2.7 available, so I'd assume the way to make that
> > decision involves deciding whether CentOS 6 is common enough in CI?)
>
> As Paul said, I think most Travis projects use Travis' support for
> multiple Python versions and then call tox with the respective python
> version. This would then probably break.

There are two ways to use tox from Travis.

One way is to run tox using different Python versions:

    language: python
    python:
        - 2.6
        - 2.7
        - 3.2
        - 3.3
        - 3.4
    install:
        - pip install tox
    script:
        - tox -e py${TRAVIS_PYTHON_VERSION//[.]/}

I haven't figured out a way to support PyPy with this scheme.

Projects using this would suffer if tox stopped working on Python 2.6.

The other way is to have a build matrix based on environment variables:

    language: python
    env:
        - TOXENV=py26
        - TOXENV=py27
        - TOXENV=py33
        - TOXENV=py34
        - TOXENV=pypy
        - TOXENV=pypy3
    install:
        - pip install tox
    script:
        - tox

This method always runs tox using the default Python version (currently
2.7).

Finally, I'd like to link to this blog post by Red Hat's Nick Coghlan
about the cost of supporting Python 2.6 and who should be paying it (not
free/open source volunteers):
http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2015/04/stop-supporting-python26.html

Apparently you can get Python 2.7 for RHEL 6 from something called "Red
Hat Software Collections".  I don't know where this leaves CentOS 6
users.

Marius Gedminas
--
I don't do martial arts, runny aroundy sports and I certainly don't put on
armour and have at other people with a sword, which I think are the activities