[TIP] Issue with larger project with subprojects; how to deal with dependencies?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Oct 24 04:28:21 PDT 2014

Hi Jonas,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:47 +0200, Jonas Thiem wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> For this being the official tox mailing list, the responses have been
> a bit sparse. We would be ok with using another tool for the job if
> tox just isn't suited for this, but it would be nice if some person
> involved in tox development could give us a more definite answer.

Sorry it got lost.  Your problem description is good and the question
makes sense.

If i am not mistaken there is indeed no easy solution for your problem
with current tox.  The use case certainly makes sense to me and i am
in fact using devpi indexes to solve it for myself.

To make things work locally with tox i think we would need a new option.
I see two possibilities:

- "pre_install_commands": tox would call it ahead of
  installing the package or the tox.ini-specified dependencies.
  You could call a script that (re)creates the subdirectory dependencies
  and installs them.

- extend "deps" such that when you specify a relative path to a
  "setup.py" it would package and install those.

The first solution is more general but i kind of prefer the second one
because it directly solves your problem.  However, i am not going to program
this any time soon myself unless paid (which is quite possible, i've done
paid feature additions in the past, contact me privately if interested).

best,
holger