[TIP] Issue with larger project with subprojects; how to deal with dependencies?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Oct 24 08:52:35 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:28:21AM +0000, holger krekel wrote:
> If i am not mistaken there is indeed no easy solution for your problem
> with current tox.  The use case certainly makes sense to me and i am
> in fact using devpi indexes to solve it for myself.
>
> To make things work locally with tox i think we would need a new option.
> I see two possibilities:
>
> - "pre_install_commands": tox would call it ahead of
>   installing the package or the tox.ini-specified dependencies.
>   You could call a script that (re)creates the subdirectory dependencies
>   and installs them.
>
> - extend "deps" such that when you specify a relative path to a
>   "setup.py" it would package and install those.
>
> The first solution is more general but i kind of prefer the second one
> because it directly solves your problem.  However, i am not going to program
> this any time soon myself unless paid (which is quite possible, i've done
> paid feature additions in the past, contact me privately if interested).

But wouldn't it be sufficient to tell pip where to find the other
subprojects?  I don't see a `find-links` option in
http://tox.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config.html, but you could do

  [tox]
  install_command = pip install -f ../library1 -f ../library2 {opts} {packages}

or maybe

  [tox]
  env =
    PIP_FIND_LINKS=../library1 ../library2

(Untested.)

I hope I'm not misunderstanding the problem.

Marius Gedminas
--
Remember the... the... uhh.....