[TIP] tox issues with Jenkins, one down, one to go!

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Jul 3 10:22:45 PDT 2012

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 14:53 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> On 03/07/2012 10:36, holger krekel wrote:
> >i just released tox-1.4.1 to pypi which fixes the Windows-dependency
> >quoting issue.
> >
> >Once Olivier made tox-1.4.1 available on ShiningPanda your problem should
> >be gone.  Else let me know.
>
> I use the ShiningPanda plugin on my own setup here:
>
> http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk
>
> ...so thanks for the speedy fix, that issue is now gone.
>
> However, still struggling with this one, which is affecting all of
> my tox jobs:
>
> http://lists.idyll.org/pipermail/testing-in-python/2012-July/005020.html

It looks like some kind of an integration problem.  Tox invokes virtualenv
and virtualenv decides it needs to overwrite distutils/__init__.py and it
can't.  So either virtualenv didn't decide this before or the file was
writable.  If you or Olivier have shell-access to the machine in question
i'd recommend trying to issue the failing commandline and go from there.

As a sidenote, i am wondering if tox should require exact versions of
virtualenv, pip and distribute and do new minor releases when new versions
come out.  Ideally, such a release process should happen automatically ...
Up until then i guess we need to live with suddenly appearing problems.

best,
holger