[TIP] coverage.py with Py2 and Py3

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Apr 12 04:31:15 PDT 2011

    Carl> On 04/11/2011 09:41 AM, Sean Robinson wrote:
    >> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
    >>> I use tox to run my tests.  It uses virtualenv under the covers.
    >>
    >> I re-evaluated virtualenv and I'm more sure that it is too heavy of
    >> a solution for my small needs.

    Carl> The fact that [tox] uses virtualenv is pretty much an irrelevant
    Carl> implementation detail to the user; you never see or touch a
    Carl> virtualenv yourself.

Correct.  The only time it's "heavy" is the first time creating the initial
virtualenv(s).  After that it's quite peppy.

Here's my tox.ini:

    [tox]
    envlist = py24,py25,py26,py27,py31,py32
    [testenv]
    commands=nosetests

I just deleted my .tox directory and ran "time tox" on my aging MacBook Pro.
It took 1m46s to run, including building the virtualenvs.  A repeat run with
the virtualevens already built took 31s.  My .tox directory is 28M.  This is
for a small Python only project (pylockfile) with a modest number of test
cases (98).

Skip