[TIP] coverage.py with Py2 and Py3

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Apr 11 22:10:53 PDT 2011

Hi Sean,

On 04/11/2011 09:41 AM, Sean Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
>> I use tox to run my tests.  It uses virtualenv under the covers.
>
>   I re-evaluated virtualenv and I'm more sure that it is too heavy of
> a solution for my small needs.

I'm curious what aspect of virtualenv you find "too heavy?" Disk space
usage? Mental overhead? Something else? (I create and dispose of
virtualenvs freely, often on the order of ten or twenty in a single
days' work, some of which don't live more than a couple minutes - so
they don't feel "heavy" at all to me.)

> So, a layer on top of virtualenv is even heavier.

This isn't necessarily true (depending of course on what "heavy" means
to you). Tox is a quite simple and convenient tool for repeatably and
automatedly testing a project under a variety of Python versions (and
possibly other factors as well). The fact that it uses virtualenv is
pretty much an irrelevant implementation detail to the user; you never
see or touch a virtualenv yourself.

Carl