[TIP] unittest2 and the future of nose

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:15:49 PST 2010

On 04/03/2010 20:51, jason pellerin wrote:
> I think this all adds up to starting a new project. Call it nose2.
> Call it @testinggoat. Whatever it's called, it should be based on
> extending unittest2, and designed to work with distutils2's test
> command. It should support as much of the current nose plugin api as
> is reasonable given the changes in unittest2. And it should be BSD or
> MIT licensed (or some reasonable equivalent) so more people feel
> comfortable contributing.

I just want to chime in and say I've been looking for an excuse to
name something goatutils. :)

Having recently adapted the nose-achievements plugin to work without
nose (instead telling unittest to use a custom test runner), I have to
say it would be very easy for us to support all nose plugins in
unittest2 - or even in today's unittest, likewise using
unittest.main(testRunner=...).

That said, I have one question about distutils2: will it support entry
points? That's really what makes nose plugins so easy to use -
otherwise people will have to manually toss around dotted object
paths.

--
Brian Beck / Adventurer of the First Order / www.brianbeck.com
Unstoppable Rocket, LLC / www.unstoppablerocket.com