[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Jul 29 12:31:16 PDT 2010

> That would be similar in the context of tests in Python pkgs . Let's
> say that , in this case , I'd like to include tests in deb-src (sdist)
> but not in the ready-to-use deb (bdist_*) , while still keeping both
> together in e.g. my VCS source tree (probably /me asking for too much
> :-S , but I think it's still possible ...)

I’m convinced this is possible without much hassle. For Debian packages,
building more than one binary packages out of a source package is easily
done with debhelper7. For Python distributions, you can have two setup
scripts, or one with conditionals—far from perfect, but feasible. I have
sketched a proposal for a better way to do that on
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Proposals/SplitAndCompoundDistributions

Regards