[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:48:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
>> That would be similar in the context of tests in Python pkgs . Let's
>> say that , in this case , I'd like to include tests in deb-src (sdist)
>> but not in the ready-to-use deb (bdist_*) , while still keeping both
>> together in e.g. my VCS source tree (probably /me asking for too much
>> :-S , but I think it's still possible ...)
>
> I’m convinced this is possible without much hassle. For Debian packages,
> building more than one binary packages out of a source package is easily
> done with debhelper7. For Python distributions, you can have two setup
> scripts, or one with conditionals—far from perfect, but feasible.

... and already been done . `dutest`, `CASPy` and more all live in the
same VCS tree and have separate setup.py scripts, and may be installed
separately (in fact CASPy = oop.dbc , dutest = oop.testing.dutest ,
...)

> I have
> sketched a proposal for a better way to do that on
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Proposals/SplitAndCompoundDistributions

... but probably this is much better ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/