[TIP] Invoking tests

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 28 05:08:14 PDT 2010

On 28/07/2010 13:05, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>
>> On 24/07/2010 18:31, Joseph Heck wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a standard convention, or even a growing one, around where and
>>> how to invoke the tests associated with a project? In many projects, I'm
>>> seeing it bundled into a Make, a separate test.py script at the top level of
>>> the project, etc to do the work.
>>>
>>> I looked around for some common thing with setup.py, but didn't spot
>>> anything there (granted, I didn't look hard). What's common and best
>>> practice?
>>>

>> Well, if you use unittest2 you can just use the unit2 test runner to run
>> your tests:
>>
>> unit2 discover
>>
>> There *is* integration with the setuptools test command, but it isn't ideal
>> as it uses unittest to run your unittest2 based tests (so things like test
>> skips or expected failures aren't reported correctly).
>>

> It is always possible to use one of --test-suite , --test-loader or
> --test-runner options in order to use any other test suite, loader,
> runner (using setuptools>=0.7.xxx ;o)

Thanks - I might look at that to see which is the best way to integrate
unittest2. Unfortunately the answer may be "all of them".

merwork (Eric somebody-or-other) has provided me with a pure distutils
test command which I may go with instead whilst waiting for distutils2.
Once I've reached a sane stopping point with unittest plugins I will
evaluate this.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/