[TIP] Tox on Windows: failing to find pypy

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Dec 15 16:15:02 PST 2010

Hello all (and Holger in particular),

I'm using tox to test mock on all versions of Python from 2.4-3.2 plus
jython and pypy.

This works fine so long as I use Antoni Cuni's version of virtualenv
which has fixes for pypy 1.4 [1] (oh and unittest2 needs a fix for test
discovery under jython [2]).

This works *great* on Mac OS X, even building and running doctests from
my Sphinx documentation.

On Windows I get the following output:

[TOX] ERROR: py31: UnsupportedInterpreter: python3/virtualenv3 is buggy
on windows
[TOX] ERROR: pypy: InterpreterNotFound: pypy
[TOX] ERROR: py32: UnsupportedInterpreter: python3/virtualenv3 is buggy
on windows
[TOX] ERROR: jython: UnsupportedInterpreter: Jython/Windows does not
support installing scripts

Are there any indications from the virtualenv guys when Python 3 might
be supported on windows and is there any likelihood of jython supporting
the installation of scripts on windows in the near future?

The pypy error is odd. pypy is on the PATH and executing pypy at the
command line starts pypy. The full error from the tox is the concise:

TOX] ***creating virtualenv pypy
TOX] ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: pypy

Anything I can do to provide more diagnostic information here?

All the best,

Michael Foord

[1] http://bitbucket.org/antocuni/virtualenv-pypy
[2] https://code.google.com/p/unittest-ext/issues/detail?id=49