[TIP] - acceptness test frame work?

Pekka Klärck peke at iki.fi
Thu Sep 10 15:00:27 PDT 2009

2009/9/10 Laurent Ploix <laurent.ploix at gmail.com>:
> 2009/9/10 Pekka Klärck <peke at iki.fi>
>> 2009/7/29 Laurent Ploix <laurent.ploix at gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > As far as I understand:
>> > - Robot will take a number of scenarios, and for each of them, it will
>> > stop
>> > at the first error/failure.
>>
>> It's true that the framework stops executing a single tests when a
>> keyword it executes fails. These keyword can, however, internally do
>> as many checks it wants and decide when to stop. We are also planning
>> to add support to continue execution after failures in the future [1].
>>
> Well, for me, this looks like a very annoying thing. I prefer to see the
> fixture (library) being in charge of accessing the tested software (doing
> sg, extracting data from it), and the framework being in charge of checking
> the validity of the returned data.

How can any generic framework know what data is valid without someone
telling it?

> In other terms, I would like to do sg like:
> - Do something
> - Extract data x, y, z and check that x=1, y=2, z=3
> ... with the scenario describing the expected data, the fixture extracting
> data x, y, z, and the framework telling me if that's correct data or not
> (with a report).

You can do all this with Robot Framework but the actual verification
is always done on libraries. The framework has many built-in keywords
for verifications, but even when you use them the framework is still
just executing keywords and catching possible exceptions.

Cheers,
    .peke
--
Agile Tester/Developer/Consultant :: http://eliga.fi