[TIP] - acceptness test frame work?

Laurent Ploix laurent.ploix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:30:09 PDT 2009

2009/9/10 Pekka Klärck <peke at iki.fi>

> [ Replying to an old main because I didn't read TIP actively during summer.
> ]

No worry !

> 2009/7/29 Laurent Ploix <laurent.ploix at gmail.com>:
> >
> > I also have the impression that Robot and Fit differ in other areas.
> Robot
> > seems to be better at handling high-level
> > reports
> http://robotframework.googlecode.com/svn/tags/robotframework-2.0.4/doc/userguide/src/ExecutingTestCases/report_failed.png
> ),
> > while Fit is more about testing that a certain of expected values are
> > correct (http://www.jamesshore.com/fit/introduction/progress.gif)
>
> I don't think there's too much difference between testing capabilities
> of Robot Framework and Fit(nesse). With both of them the actual
> verification is done by test libraries (or fixtures, depending on
> terminology) and the framework is just handling reporting. I do agree
> that Robot's reports and log are really good.
>
> > As far as I understand:
> > - Robot will take a number of scenarios, and for each of them, it will
> stop
> > at the first error/failure.
>
> It's true that the framework stops executing a single tests when a
> keyword it executes fails. These keyword can, however, internally do
> as many checks it wants and decide when to stop. We are also planning
> to add support to continue execution after failures in the future [1].
>
> Well, for me, this looks like a very annoying thing. I prefer to see the
fixture (library) being in charge of accessing the tested software (doing
sg, extracting data from it), and the framework being in charge of checking
the validity of the returned data.

In other terms, I would like to do sg like:
- Do something
- Extract data x, y, z and check that x=1, y=2, z=3
... with the *scenario* describing the expected data, the
*fixture*extracting data x, y, z, and the
*framework* telling me if that's correct data or not (with a report).
- Go on with something else

[1] http://code.google.com/p/robotframework/issues/detail?id=137

--
Laurent Ploix