[TIP] nose/py.test plugins

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:08:06 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> There are many things I don't know about hg and BB, and I would be glad to
> learn.  Chiding is all well and good, but teaching is more effective!  Even
> a pointer to a focused tutorial would be helpful.  Mercurial offers a
> bewildering array of options for moving code around: cloning, forking,
> branching, patch queues, bundles, maybe more.

Ned, I see from your blog that you've already got the basics of
Mercurial down.  Things get tricky in dvcs land when you deal with
branching, forks, and clones.  I personally found this article to be a
great explanation of how all that works
http://stevelosh.com/blog/entry/2009/8/30/a-guide-to-branching-in-mercurial/
although it is definitely more on the advanced side of Mercurial use.

You don't really need to know much of that to accept patches though.
You will get pull requests when someone wants you to apply their patch
and then you just pull in the changes to your local computer, inspect
them, edit them, then push them to your bitbucket repository when
ready.  If something goes wrong in that process you can simply blow
away your local clone and re-clone your stable bitbucket repository to
start over.

Kumar