[TIP] Web Application Testing Code of Ethics?

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:22:00 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Ben Finney
<ben+python at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bpython at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

> "C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> writes:
>
> > -> I still think there is a minimal level of testing, in any language,
> that
> > -> should come with a web app, and that it could be summarized in an
> elegant
> > -> way that wasn't too condescending.  Where is our generations Nancy
> Reagan,
> > -> "just say no" to untested web apps?
> >
> > "Test your shit, or I breaka your head".
>
> Not measurable. Things that get measured tend to get done more reliably.
>
> I recommend "Your code isn't done until I have a complete automated
> test suite from you that I can run to see all requirements
> demonstrated working."

Hmm, this could be enforced if you were the guy responsible for deployment,
as you could write a svn checkout hook, that ran the automated tests first,
if they fail....no dice...your code doesn't get deployed.

> That's the stick. The carrot comes by someone (you, or another)
> whispering sweetly in their ear about how much smoother the
> development process is if that automated test suite is written at the
> same time as (or even before!) the functionality that it's testing.
>
> --
>  \     "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do |
>  `\        it from religious conviction." —Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), |
> _o__)                                                   Pensées, #894. |
> Ben Finney

Noah Gift
http://noahgift.com