[TIP] Web Application Testing Code of Ethics?

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 16:10:52 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bpython at benfinney.id.au>
> > wrote:
>
>> "C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> writes:
>>
>> > -> I still think there is a minimal level of testing, in any language,
>> that
>> > -> should come with a web app, and that it could be summarized in an
>> elegant
>> > -> way that wasn't too condescending.  Where is our generations Nancy
>> Reagan,
>> > -> "just say no" to untested web apps?
>> >
>> > "Test your shit, or I breaka your head".
>>
>> Not measurable. Things that get measured tend to get done more reliably.
>>
>> I recommend "Your code isn't done until I have a complete automated
>> test suite from you that I can run to see all requirements
>> demonstrated working."
>>

> Hmm, this could be enforced if you were the guy responsible for deployment,
> as you could write a svn checkout hook, that ran the automated tests first,
> if they fail....no dice...your code doesn't get deployed.

Actually, this reminds me a bit of the talk I attended last week by Holger
Krekel, apparently py.test can test both javascript and HTML links
automatically:  http://pyworks.mtacon.com/c/schedule/talk/d1s4/4 .  That
would be awesome to integrate with a version control checkout hook script!

--
Noah Gift
http://noahgift.com