[TIP] What strategies to you use to factor seleniums tests to avoid duplications of the same or similar test steps?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:52:47 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Bob Clancy <bob.clancy at verizon.net> wrote:
> Tarjei, Thank you for pointing out Canoo WebTest.  At first glance, it seems
>  to have a feature set very much in line with what I'd like.  I'll have to
>  play around with it a bit.  Thanks again.

AFAIK Canoo Web Test doesn't automate a real browser, it simulates a
browser.  This is something to consider as it presents a major
downside: you will never get very close to a real user's experience.
If your sites don't use much javascript then maybe that's acceptable
but in that case you shouldn't be considering Selenium since it will
be slow.  The downside to Selenium is that it automates a real browser
and that's slow.

There is an interesting package called WebDriver (Java,
http://code.google.com/p/webdriver/ ) that actually gives you both
worlds: a browser simulation *and* the ability to automate a real
browser.  The implementation you choose is hidden behind the
programming interface so you can divvy out what needs to be run in the
browser and what is safe to run in the simulation without interrupting
your test scripts much.

Kumar