[TIP] What strategies to you use to factor seleniums tests to avoid duplications of the same or similar test steps?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Feb 14 07:06:24 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:43:30AM -0500, Bob Clancy wrote:
-> Grig wrote:
-> > The 2nd book in the O'Reilly Shortcut series is supposed to cover
-> > Selenium RC among other things (<http://selenium-rc.openqa.org/>)
->
-> Is there a planned ETA for the 2nd ShortCut book?

Unfortunately, no.

-> Will it cover abstracting testcases to reduce duplicate code?  (Such a topic
-> seems more like the topic for a whole book rather than a shortcut.)

Isn't that part of basic programming -- extracting duplicate
functionality into functions or methods or classes?  I haven't paid
close attention to the e-mails yet [0] but I thought the frustration
with Selenium Core is that writing reusable code blocks is difficult.

I regularly write Python functions to group twill function calls into
reusable blocks pretty regularly, but I don't regard the strategy as
testing specific!

cheers,
--titus

[0] I'm travelling ATM.