[TIP] django fixtures

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:10:16 PST 2007

re: "fixture", not sure what to say, sorry? :)  I kinda like module
names that indicate what the module is doing.  But I like the name
twill too.  Now that I know what it is I can look at twill and think -
that's for writing functional website tests.  But I guess what I was
going for is somone browsing a list of modules and seeing "fixture"
and sort-of knowing what it probably does.

Just be glad I didn't call it pyfixture!!

As for the django fixtures, I plan to try this out when I start on my
next django app.  However, I will be biased only because I've wrestled
with my own fixture interface for so long now and made a lot of
enhancements out of that.

I'm also not thrilled about the railsness of the django fixtures.  I
think translating the way rails does things to python is only useful
up to a certain point because, IMHO, python has many common patterns
built in that ruby does not (a trivial example: a directoy is a
module, a singleton code object.  rejoice!).