[TIP] Functional Testing of Desktop Applications

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Sun Mar 4 15:29:50 PST 2007

--- Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW I am still unsure what unittesting GUI part is a good idea.

I think this is an excellent point. In my experience, testing at the
GUI level is very prone to breakages, especially if you have a lot of
assumptions that might prove to be invalid once your GUI layout
changes. It's OK though if you test elements of your GUI screens that
are not likely to change; but once you try to get fancier, it's almost
guaranteed that your tests will break after a while.

The strategy I recommend is to have a shallow set of GUI testing, just
for smoke testing purposes, and put most of the functional testing at
the application logic level, below the GUI. This will also force a
cleaner design of the application (MVC etc.)

Grig