[TIP] Functional Testing of Desktop Applications

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 15:13:36 PST 2007

Vladimir Ignatov wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>> I'm interested in what other Python programmers are using to
>>> functionally test desktop applications - particularly wxPython apps
>>> (although QT is pretty nice and worth considering).
>>>

> I use Python/wxPython for my "hobby" shareware projects and pretty
> happy using standard unittest module. The main problem was how to
> avoid invoking app.MainLoop(). Luckily wx.Yield or playing with
> app.ExitMainLoop() did the trick.

Our test suite involves starting and stopping the Windows Forms event
loop hundreds of times.

We're pretty sure that in the process we've uncovered an obscure bug in
the .NET runtime (stopping and starting the event loop that many times
isn't normal behaviour). We've got a workaround place... :-)

> BTW I am still unsure what unittesting GUI part is a good idea.

Unittesting is great for testing parts of your code in isolation.
Functional testing provides a higher level test that your features
actually work. Many times our functional tests have uncovered bugs and
breakages that our unittests didn't spot.

We usually also implement our performance tests at the functional test
level.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml