[socal-piggies] Socal Piggies Hands Up

Howard B. Golden howard_b_golden at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 13:56:12 PDT 2014

Hi all,

It's nice to hear from the list again.

I've moved on in my interests. While I still write small Python
one-offs, I'm focusing more on Haskell for larger projects. I certainly
don't want to start a flame war, but I see enough benefits in functional
languages to make the learning curve worth climbing for me.

In many ways, Haskell is about ten years behind Python in terms of
adoption. The community is still heavily academic, but practically
oriented users (like me) are joining too. One thing that Haskell needs
to learn from Python is more concern for stability and upward
compatibility. Major releases occur about once a year, but they often
break old code. The Python developers long ago realized that this was to
be avoided.

One thing I've thought about working on is taking David Mertz's great
book, "Text Processing in Python," and reworking it using Haskell and
Haskell's libraries. If any of you are interested in learning Haskell,
you might find this of value to your study.

John Mitchell's blog links to an interesting discussion of functional
programming's limited use in large companies:

http://technicae.cogitat.io/2014/07/the-future-of-programming-adopting.html

Best regards,

Howard