[socal-piggies] Socal Piggies Hands Up

Ben Abramowitz benjaminabramowitz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 13:52:02 PDT 2014

as a relative Python n00b, I found that there are no good / affordable
options if you are looking to learn 3.x. Learning sites like thinkfully,
which in my opinion is the best 'middle ground option' of lessons,
instructors and class interaction, don't have a date when they intend to
offer 3, because of the time commitment of updating their 2.7 libraries.

Personally, I learnt Python 3 from this book:
http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english3e/ and the companion
site: http://www.openbookproject.net/pybiblio/  (The use of the logo turtle
to teach the concepts of object orientated programming, made all the
difference).  And the 'extension' website:
http://www.openbookproject.net/py4fun/ for improving skills.
To help with tough questions, I found an instructor on craigslist, who
charges me $40 an hour, and is a great teacher. For me, at least
http://learntocodewithmatt.com/

I think the meeting  structure that John is proposing sounds smart.  John,
are you suggesting a monthly meeting? I personally would like to hear the
talk on Automatic Parameter Optimization and functional programming.

I have no idea what facilities are available or the numbers interested on
this list or even really who is on this list, but if availability or cost
are a factor and size isn't, I live in Hancock Park, which is central LA,
and have space for 10 - 12 people seated, with space to present. I can't
host every meeting, but definitely a good number.

Ben

>>> chris.mahan at gmail.com