[socal-piggies] Still Looking

Sean Bradley sean at bravoflix.com
Sat Jul 27 11:40:56 PDT 2013

Hi, Dan...

I'm an intermediate Python programmer and music theorist (and former high
school teacher) who may be able to offer you some help...to whatever
measure I can.  I'm deeply fascinated by psychoacoustics...and actually
know a bit about the field.

Daniel Greenfield's and Michael's comments are insightful. Particularly:
it's not entirely clear from your description of the project what libraries
or particular domain of Python expertise is required...

Regarding course materials: there are course materials... Good ones.
 Albeit, most existing course materials take a very generalist approach to
learning the language. Your project has a very specific domain of concern,
certainly, which may or may not need such a broad overview.  In any case,
if you're unfamiliar with Python, as Daniel suggests, you'll have to work
through a basic course in any regard.

Also: as far as GUIs are concerned, Tkinter is one...

http://docs.python.org/2/library/tkinter.html

There's even a nice tutorial for it:

http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/index.html

Moreover, you may want to consider if your app is something that'd work
well as a web app(?)   I am admittedly no expert at Tkinter or wxPython or
any other popular GUI libraries. But: I might be able to point you in the
right initial direction, and--at the very least--help you get your Python
environment set-up, help walk you through an existing tutorial, help
explain some of the basics of the language if you encounter some simpler
speedbumps, and perhaps make some relevant comments with regard to
psychoacoustics.

And then, as Daniel also explained, there's the awkward issue of money vs.
time.  And that's an important one.  Figuring out *what*, exactly, is the
true scope of work so that a fair estimate with regard to cost can be made:
that's a time-consumptive process in and of itself for any developer...and
it can only be sussed out via a detailed discussion with you, and an
examination of the existing code base. (And--to be honest--to complicate
matters, I don't know even a lick of Matlab.) Until those parameters are
explored, it's not even clear if 10-20 hours is sufficient to get things
rolling in the right direction...or if I'd even be the right guy to help
you at all.  So...in your initial request--the lack of that info: it makes
it a non-starter for most people who might otherwise be interested...

Michael's suggestion--making it open-source, publishing the existing
project so that the code can be examined and explored and potentially
contributed to by the Python community...that circumvents a lot of
questions.  As an alternative to serving as a tutor, I may be able to help
you set up your project on a public repository, so that you can better
solicit help.

Feel free to call me if you like...  213-925-8598

Sean Bradley