[socal-piggies] Python Newbie

Arthur Baldwin eengnerd at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 19:24:50 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm just getting started in the Python programming language.  I'm already familiar with C/C++, Visual Basic, VBA, and a little Java.
My focus shifted away from Windows to Linux in 1998.  After noticing that the free online Computer Science courses from MIT begin with learning to use the Python language, I decided maybe there was a good reason for that.  And I've noticed that there seems to be an awful lot of modules floating around linux repositories that are obviously "add-ons" intended for Python programmers.  I've spent some time exploring the various Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) for Python Development and was very impressed with "Eric" (I think primarily designed for Linux use).  I'd like to get a little taste of GUI app development in Python using either Eric (IDE) or some other "superior" IDE.  And being a C++ programmer by nature, and a "bit twiddler" at heart, I was wondering if you can share some syntax for "bit twiddling" in Python?

Sincerely,

Arthur