[socal-piggies] Great meeting at DreamHost last night

Tommi Virtanen tv at eagain.net
Tue Nov 15 19:33:57 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 01:22:33PM -0800, Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
> If the presenters want to send their slides either to me or to the
> group, I'll make sure they also get posted to our wiki at
> socal-piggies.org.

Thank you all for coming. I just put my slides up at

http://eagain.net/talks/concurrency-oh-my/index.html

The way I do my slides, they are more meant for talking than for
independent reading, so if they don't make sense, please ask for an
explanation! The PPT version also has a couple of speaker notes that
may be helpful. There's also a couple of longer examples that I chose
not to cover, as we had enough to talk about elsewhere and I could
blabber about that stuff for days.

After the talks, there was some conversation about generic "cloud
programming" interest. That's a huge topic that tends to take a couple
of years and a few scars to get the hang of, but if we can narrow it
to a concrete single topic, me, Jonathan and probably a few others
would be happy to talk about things more. And I'm fairly sure we can
use DreamHost as a venue in the future, if you guys liked the setup.

If you have concrete, fairly narrow suggestions for "cloudy" topics
you would like to learn more about, please let us know! I've dealt
with most of the free mapreduce & nosql software out there, Jonathan
says smart things about scaling web apps, we're working with the
OpenStack project, and we have developers who have worked with
ZooKeeper, Paxos, Dynamo-style DHTs etc if you want to "dig in
deep". The challenge is really figuring out what's appropriate for
this group.

--