[socal-piggies] Proposed next meeting: Thu July 21st @ Evite

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:06:13 PDT 2011

Hello everybody,

It's time to plan our next meeting. We can host it at Evite and we
propose the date of Thu. July 21st at 7 PM.

While we're always looking for presenters (so please volunteer!), my
colleague Warren Runk came up with a really good list of activities we
could do in the meeting:

- ice breakers (not lame ones)
- moderated discussions with small group break out sessions (maybe
present ideas to the list before hand to vote on)
- algorithm discussions/introductions
- maybe some light programming exercises (laptops or whiteboard)
- allocated time dedicated to beginners (they can ask questions, we
can provide useful experiences and things to avoid)

If you would like to vote on one of these topics, we could go ahead
and do it at our next meeting.

I would also like to stress a couple of things based on feedback from
various Piggies:

1) Our meeting is *very* open to beginners and we do not aim for a
super-high technical threshold; we encourage beginners to attend, ask
questions and propose topics of interest to them. Danny Greenfeld had
a really good idea related to this, in that more advanced users can do
a real service to the community by presenting on their patterns of
usage of basic Python modules such as sets, or exception handling,
etc. So...please propose some of these topics!

2) While we try to have lots of fun during the meetings, I would like
to ask everybody to try to keep the comments (and sometimes heckling)
addressed to presenters to a polite minimum. We can (and indeed do)
have lively discussions on the respective topic *after* the presenter
has finished.

Other comments and suggestions regarding the structure of our meeting
are very welcome!

If you do plan on going to the July 21st meeting, please let me know.